13 February 2009

Valentine

I'm going to put it out there: I love Valentine's Day. And I'll even go so far to say that I'm anti-people who are anti-Valentine's Day. All this talk about "made up holiday" ... "greeting card holiday" blah blah blah. What the F ever. First of all, don't buy a greeting card if you don't want it to be a greeting card holiday. Smart. And I find it funny that the vast majority of those who are against the proverbial Hallmark Holiday do so in attempt to be non-conformist. But I do believe that the majority is now anti-V-Day ... who's the nonconformist now? Idiots.

Second of all ... made up holiday? I don't care. I see nothing wrong with having a day dedicated to reminding your sweetie, or anyone else close to your heart, know how much you love them. Yes, this should happen every day of the year. But let's be honest ... it doesn't. We get in fights, we get complacent, we take things for granted. So let's take a step back and remember why we love the people we do and show them. There's a special day for your mom (ha), your dad and everyone in between. What about Saint freaking Patrick's Day? Why is it ok to have a holiday dedicated to getting wasted on beer tainted with food coloring, but not ok to have a holiday dedicated to love?

But where would we be without made up holidays anyway? Hippies and eco-enthusiasts alike are given a day for the Earth they love. Federal employees, and the five of us with an obsession of Columbus are given a day to give props. (I wonder if the filmmaker feels bad that he doesn't have a holiday.) But are we so uncomfortable with expressing love that we need to dispute a day for it?

I don't need chocolates, flowers or a Vermont Teddy Bear ... though the latter is absolutely hilarious. What I love about February 14th is the aura. It reminds me of making Valentine boxes from old shoe boxes in elementary school. Of the small care package my mom would have waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs every V-Day, without fail. (I still miss them.) I look forward to watching a movie, eating some takeout and letting J know that he is the Hidden Valley to my ranch.

Aaaaand scene.

No comments: