06 August 2009

That extra oomph

What is it about that seemingly-irrelevant nudge we give ourselves to get something done? Like when I'm playing Mario Kart and I tilt my entire controller, or more like the entire upper-half of my body, in order to complete that sharp turn. Or when I stick my tongue out trying to get something from a shelf that's got a height advantage on me.

I don't have any light to shed on the situation. It just sprung into my head when I was using a public restroom at a Topeka grocery store. What makes me think that resting my toosh on the seat's front-half only and placing just my tippy toes on the floor are going to make the experience less germ-filled?

But enlighten me ... what's your extra oomph?

1 comment:

Allison said...

I'm not sure if this constitutes as an extra "oomph" but my students last year told me I had a habit of singsonging quietly "do-da-do" whenever I look for something.