28 January 2009

Where I'm going

My 2009 vacation calendar is shaping up quite nicely. It's slightly daunting only because I don't want to find myself going absolutely bonkers in December with zero vacation days left to my name. But it's exciting because I have oodles look forward to.

1.) Dallas in March

I'm visiting a dear friend, her boyfriend - I guess I like him, too - and their new canine friend. (I'm stoked to meet Tex, the Louisiana Catahoula Leopard dog.) I will come armed with Claritin and a small, carry-on bag - as my butt face airline is one that charges for checked bags ... so much for looking cute. I will also be fully prepared to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, lay by the pool - weather permitting - and spend quality time with a gal I've known and loved since day one of my existence.

What I will not do in Dallas:
  • Spend too much money on clothing/shoes - written proof that I've made a promise to myself. (Psh.)
  • Visit any restaurant Jessica Simpson has gone to. (Ok, that was a low blow.)
  • Be the second gunman on the Grassy Knoll.
2.) St. Louis in May

This is the vacation of J and Molly, 2009. After much deliberation, we decided to regrettably decline an invitation to holiday in Napa. (Yes, I just said holiday. It sounds cooler, so what?) We are not immune to the recession punch felt 'round the world, so we opted for a more wallet-friendly excursion. We'll stop at a winery on the way and go antique shopping - much to J's dismay, I'm certain. We'll also take in a ball game - Go Royals! - see some animals at the zoo and in general, grace the city of St. Louis with our awesomeness.

What I will not do in St. Louis:
  • Visit East St. Louis. One experience was enough ...
  • Play bar golf. For sentimental and liver-purposes, I save this for MVC trips only.
  • Go "up in the Arch." Unless J insists, I'd like to save facing two fears at once - heights and claustrophobia - for a more worthy cause. You know, like death.
3.) Colorado in August

J has college friends getting married. I don't know much about it except that I'm going. What I do know is that the company will be entertaining, and I won't be at work. Winner.

What I will not do in Colorado:
  • Lay out in my bathing suit reading chapter after chapter of the 7th Harry Potter book, forgetting that since I'm in the mountains, I'm closer to the sun. Hello, lobster Molly. (I have never in my life been this miserable. Knee surgery included.)
  • Lose my pants on a ski lift. (Yes, "ski lift in August" doesn't compute, but that story is just too classic not to mention.)
  • Forget to be awesome.
4.) Camping in an unknown place at an unknown time

Last year, we went to Colorado. This year, we might try to keep it closer to KC. We'll eat our weight in smores, find some hiking trails and laugh a lot.

What I will not do on the camping trip:
  • Wear makeup.
  • Go to a camping site with port-o-potties only. I'll bathroom in the woods before I step foot in one of those. Dry heaving just thinking about them ...
  • Strangle any snoring members of our tent population.

No comments: