28 November 2010

Funky Acrophobia

J and I vacationed in Chicago a few weeks ago. I experienced several new things while there, despite having visited the Windy City multiple times before. But the most notable newness was my trip 103 stories into the sky at Willis Tower. (Formerly known as Sears Tower. Barf on that name change.)

Whether you stick your nose up at touristy activities, or embrace them as rites of passage, you must put Willis Tower on your "to do" list. Because not only are the traditional views spectacular, but there's also a new feature on the west side of the building in the form of plexiglass boxes that jut out from the side of the building. When you venture into one of these boxes, you're standing 103 stories up, looking down at your Chicago playroom ... the cars and buildings teensy weensy. And my oh my, was it terrifyingly awesome.

My fear of heights is bizarre. I love roller coasters. But put me in a multi-level mall, make me walk on the inside near those barriers that look down into the middle and you'll send my heart racing. Flying? It's fine. (Save for takeoff and landing. Gou to the let.) Standing on the edge of the rafters behind stage of my high school's auditorium ... forgetaboutit. (Clearly a traumatizing experience, almost 9 years later.) I can't really explain my phobia's inconsistencies.

Anywho ... when we finally made our way to plexiglass peril, J tugged on my arm for the imminent photo shoot, forgetting I'd need to ease into it. Our first pictures feature a nervous smile on my face, fists clenched in utter terror. (What you can't see is the massive amounts of sweat those palms were home to.) Gradually, I got more adventurous and took my heels off the carpet, allowing my soles to bear witness to all of Wacker Drive's tinyness.

Photobucket

I even let J leave my side and visit the box across from me.

Photobucket

Photobucket

But when he requested that I crouch down, the butterflies returned. Powered through...

Photobucket

Ultimately, I'm so glad I experienced this tourist attraction and would recommend it to anyone - visitors and Chicagoans alike. We went at sunset which made for some lovely views and photos.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Got any favorite tourist traps?

No comments: