22 November 2010

We're here to pump(kin) ... you up.

I was once addicted to StumbleUpon. When I got a new computer, I forgot to reinstall it, thus my addiction was abandoned cold turkey. Then I got an iPhone, found the StumbleUpon app and my boredom buster was once again established.

Through SU, I found a Paula Deen-modified recipe that sounded yummy. Since I purchased multiple cans of pumpkin from the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Loaf recipe I made the previous week, and I needed to fulfill my vow of trying something new for the week right on time for Betsy Bop Bop's birthday, I tried my hand at pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting.

First thing's first ... I've already redubbed this pumpkin cake. Bars imply a certain thinness, right? Well these were the fattest bars I've ever seen. So yeah, this is cake.

Now I'm not one to brag about my cooking. (No really, I pretty much always find something wrong with it.) But these were f'awesome. So awesome that I'm bringing them to J's Thanksgiving celebration.

Here's a picture of my version:

Photobucket

And here's my varied-only-by-commentary recipe, in case you're too lazy to click on a link. Or you just want to act like I made it up. Das cool, das cool.

Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Cake ingredients:

4 eggs
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 cup canola oil
1, 15 oz. can pumpkin (Is it just me, or does this stuff smell like baby vomit? Of course it makes for delicious treats, but before it's delicious it's gross-smelling.)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (because cinnamon sticks would be silly!)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Frosting ingredients:

1, 8 oz. package cream cheese (aka Cow Fudge), softened
1 stick or 1/2 cup butter, softened
3-4 cups powdered sugar (I used 4)
1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I used 2)

(The varying powdered sugar and vanilla amounts depends on your preference of both quantity and sweetness. I thought the frosting was way too sweet for my taste, but it ended up being the perfect balance to the pumpkin cake. My version had quite a thick coating of frosting, so if you prefer a thinner layer or dollops, I'd use less powdered sugar/vanilla.)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
2. Mix eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin with mixer until light and fluffy. Kind of like a puppy.
3. Pour flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda into another bowl and mix.
4. Pour flower mixture into pumpkin mixture and force them to be buddies until (Kids) incorporated and smooth.
5. Pour the batter into the baking dish and level out the batter.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (I think I ended up baking mine for a total of almost 40 minutes, checking every few minutes after the 30 minute mark. 30 minutes just wasn't enough ... it was Jello jiggly! At least Bill Cosby would have been proud.)
7. Remove from oven and allow to fully cool before removing from dish or frosting.
8. Frost the cake, duh.

Oh, well, I guess you gotta make the frosting first. Duh-tails. (Do I really need to tell you that you should make this while the cake is baking or cooling? I guess I just did.)

1. Combine cream cheese and butter in a bowl ... mix 'til smooth as a criminal.
2. Add sugar slowly until you reach your desired consistency.
3. Stir in vanilla.
4. Commence sugar high.

Filing this new experience completed on the week of October 11th.

No comments: