17 November 2010

Ode to Loaf

I'm going to channel my inner Jedi here. It has not been nine months since I've blogged. {insert sweeping hand motion here.}

Oh hey guys! I know you feel like I'm probably inundating your RSS feed (ha!) with blog updates, but you just can't stop my prose inspiration. Aight?!

In all for seriousness, I have to thank someone else for my return to my own blog. And that someone is Loaf.

Say what? Ok here's the dealio. As much as I've enjoyed blogging in the past, I've also dreaded it. I felt a lot of pressure to be interesting or funny. (Because honestly, who wants to read about my stupid swimming workout ... which has stemmed my latest excuse/habit of eating like a college student ... chips/dip and Ramen noodles.) And as a writer, I've felt a lot of pressure to be perfectemont. (My own Home Alone-inspired version of the French translation of "perfect.")

So in lieu of uncovering the solution to all these insecurities, I ignored it ... joining the ranks of New Year resolution failures.

But I decided this behavior unacceptable. I sit at home alone most weekday nights, and when my trashy DVRd shows have completed their depletion of my IQ, I either go to bed earlier than most retirees, or I drink way too much wine. (Judge if you must.)

I hunkered down for hours ... ok several minutes ... and realized I needed a theme to my blog. Not anything binding, because sometimes themes can be limiting. But structure is a good thing. (Just ask any boobs you know.) So even if I experience a total lack of motivation, I have a thematic pillow to fall back on. And when I'm feeling lazy, I have a challenge to move toward each week.

Thus, my long-winded excuse for laziness comes to a close. And my explanation of Loaf thanking is explained. When autumn rolled around, pumpkin season did, too. So I made pumpkin chocolate chip loaf for my coworkers, regardless of the ickiness of the word "loaf." (Thanks to Allison for pointing me toward the recipe!)

Photobucket

People enjoyed it so much that I decided I had discovered my theme! Every week, I'm going to try something new. Yep, that's it ... general enough to not be limiting, structured enough to make me do it.

I'm a little backlogged on my "new stuff" updates ... I started six weeks ago ... so the next several posts won't exactly be real-time. But I hope to keep things timely, sharing them with you in the same week that I do them.

So here goes ... think I can do this?