23 January 2011

Centerfold

I'm so very behind on my blogging, I know. I thought I'd catch up by doing a few a week 'til my "new things" were current. I thought wrong. Then I thought I'd just ignore it and blog like it was normal to talk about my holiday endeavors 'til February, but I realize I've finally reached the threshold. So I apologize that the next several blogs will not be timely or relevant. But maybe your holiday hangover has subsided, and you'll be inspired to try something new when the next yuletide season approaches.

Last year, my holiday centerpiece on the dining room table was just a glass bowl filled with glass ball ornaments. Festive but kinda plain. I still keep it around but J actually asked if I was going to do something new... when he even comes close to forming an opinion about these kind of things, I oblige faster than a fat kid who hears "would you like to see the dessert menu?"

So once again, Martha Stewart came to the rescue with these Christmas trees made out of magazines. I love that they're homemade AND sustainable. It's not that I go around hugging trees every day. But I try to do the little things that can maybe make a difference. So I tried my hand, and 45 minutes later, this is what we had.

Photobucket
(If you must know, this is an old issue of Golf Digest. I wish I had a dirty magazine of some kind just so I could giggle to myself when people marveled at my craftiness.)

Unfortunately, that's as far as I got. I prefer odd numbers when it comes to decorating but because there aren't a ton of size variations when it comes to magazines (especially ones I have in my house), I knew I'd only make two of these suckers. And I didn't even make it that far, let alone getting around to spray painting them gold and dusting them with glitter. So this will be on the docket for next Christmas. Guess you'll have to wait 11 months to see the final product!

If you want to try this out, I definitely recommend checking out the video that's on the how-to article. Very helpful! When I finish my trees off, I'll be using one of those tiny cookie recipe books — the folding might prove difficult, but at least I'll have my size variation darnit!

Did you take on any holiday projects this year?

No comments: