25 January 2011

The Right Wreath

For reasons unexplainable, I was obsessed with wreaths this holiday season. It's a weird fascination to have, considering there are only so many places to put them before becoming the Clark Griswold of circle-shaped "greenery."

I ended up making two wreaths for Christmas. (Lie ... I made three including the Card Wreath.) One for the boyfriend's house and one for my sad little Scrooge apartment. (Almost all of my decor is displayed at his house. It just looks better there. But my place needed a little love, too!) The wreath at J's house took more internet scouring than it did crafting. I just purchased a grape-vine/twig wreath and found some battery-powered C9 light bulbs online since his 80+ year old house was not built with outdoor outlets to equip Christmas lights. (Those lazy Roaring 20-ites.) The result is kind of funky and random but I like the melding of country crafter with retro lighting. I might be using this wreath to re-adorn it with seasonal flair to make it a year-round door greeter.

Photobucket

The wreath for my apartment was a tad more involving, but still super simple. I purchased a small wire wreath base, a box of white lights with white wiring and two white feather boas. Wrapped the lights around the wreath base and then did the same with the boas. And here we have a sassy, glowing wreath!

Photobucket
The picture really does it no justice. But I absolutely love this final product. It's one of those things that makes me smile whenever I walk past it.

And yes, I have a window hanging on my dining room wall. Guess what: right next to it is a door, complete with gaudy garland leftover from trimming the tree. I'm sure you think it's silly that I didn't hang the wreath on the door, but there are pictures hanging on it. Duh!

And just for good measure ... since this will be the last holiday project post 'til next Christmas rolls around ... here's another little fun little tidbit.

Photobucket

I did these on either side of the front porch stairs at J's house. Just cut off some sprigs of his giant blue spruce, got some coordinating balls (ha), red velvet ribbon and voila! Festive flower pots.

What's your favorite piece of holiday decor?

No comments: