07 May 2008

Obligatory driving rant

I delayed the inevitable for quite some time. Every time I wanted to blog, but had no topic, I contemplated the "driving pet peeves" theme. But I refrained, knowing that they've become utterly cliche. I mean, everyone has their driving hot spots. What makes mine so different? Well, nothing really. But in the last week I've seen far too many drivers - if you can really call them that - doing completely idiotic things while driving. Since when did driving become the battle of multi-tasking? Who can do the most things while driving ... Dumbest. Notion. Ever.

So I'm cruising across I-70 west to visit my awesome mom. I've made my way for about 20 minutes without any major aggressions. (I'll admit, I've got a minor case of road rage. But not the kind that's unwarranted ... mine is totally legit.) I'm in the left lane, make my way closer to an older Honda. I notice it swerving quite a bit, but I credit it to the wind. I've got my cruise control set to approximately 77. Without a second's notice, the other Honda immediately steps on the gas and goes from what I'm guessing was 73, to 80. "Uh. Ok?" I think to myself. I move to the right lane.

Shortly after, I approach the same Honda. Back down to the lower 70's mph, swerving to their heart's content. I make my way to pass the car, glance over for a quick survey of the situation and I uncover the culprit: test messaging. Ok. I've been known to be a text messaging bandit, so it's not like I'm a crotchety old woman nay saying the technological phenomenon. But this lady is just staring at the phone, clearly a texting novice, not even looking up at the road ahead of her unless the big hunk of metal she's driving veers off course. Nevertheless, I shake my head and go on my merry way. I've got a mom to see.

Another five or so minutes pass, the Honda's back. She's cruising over 80, ready to pass me. But she suddenly slows. I then pass her and not only see the reason for the abrupt speed change (phone call) but I also see that she has a child in her back seat. Ok ladies and gents ... I try to keep the internet lingo to a minimum, but WTF! It really ticked me off that this idiot was putting other drivers' lives in danger, but it absolutely makes me sick to my stomach that she would put a child's life in jeopardy so she could freaking send a text message.

Her speed fluctuation caused several continued encounters, and I was to the point of calling Highway Patrol to report her reckless driving if it happened one more time. It didn't.

I'm not at all claiming to be a perfect driver. I've done stupid things in the past, and I have my moments now. But I sure know where to draw the line. I vote for this lady to be locked in a dark room with "The Macarena" on loop over loudspeakers.

1 comment:

Allison said...

In Texas they've apparently disabled turn signals in every car on the road...