30 May 2008

Bucket, please

I'm not exactly sure what birthed my queasy stomach. It wasn't my mom, that's for sure. She's the type that would ask a doctor if she could be in the operating room to observe her daughter's knee surgery.

I don't think my dad transferred the trait. No justification for that assumption, but it just doesn't seem to fit him.

And I haven't had this uneasy tummy as long as I can remember. I didn't freak out when I skinned a knee ... which I did countless times. From what I recall, I didn't squeal with disgust at the sight of blood.

But now, even talking about it makes me feel faint. In fact, I have to take breaks as I type because of bouts of "the willies" and general dizziness. To you, dear readers, this may seem like a seamless flow of prose genius ... ha ... but I need you to know that's not the case.

Anyway. Generally speaking, the following ick factors make me lightheaded, shudder with fear and overall displeased: needles, blood, conversations about needles or blood. Sometimes people's fears, especially with needles and such, improve with age. Turns out my case is the opposite. It's only gotten worse. Besides the inevitable fainting spell while having blood drawn for tests (yeah, a tiny vial's worth has the ability to knock me unconscious, so you can forget about asking me to donate BAGS of blood), apparently I'm adding to the list of what makes me grossed out. For one, raw meat ... not for moral reasons, I've just grown to incrementally dislike it more and more each day. (Exception ... sushi.)

But my newest discovery is the most random of all. One of my favorite shows is Three Sheets. (You should probably most definitely check it out here. Tell Zane I sent you.) In short, the host Zane Lamprey visits countries to learn about locals' drinking customs and favorite beverages. And when he visits some countries to partake in alcoholic beverages, their traditions get downright gnarly. Several episodes have featured the mostly involuntary consumption of liquor that has been infused with dead snakes or other critters ... lizards, seahorses, etc. While viewing these occurrences in previous seasons, it was gross, but nothing induced vomiting. But last night, while watching his episode in Saigon, they visited a shop that had endless jars of alcohol filled with dead animals. It doesn't help that I was eating brisket while watching, but I seriously could not watch without gagging.

Then there was the time Zane tried to cure a hangover by eating soup that contained coagulated cow blood. Makes me dry heave as I type.

So the next time you try to buy me a shot laced with dead serpent, blood and pieces of raw meat, served by way of syringe, I'll punch you in the nose.

No comments: