05 May 2008

Searching for inspiration

As if it weren't sufficiently apparent, I've been in a little slump as of late. The severity has its ebbs and flows, but one thing's for certain ... I'm in need some inspiration. And the worst part about this need is that nothing seems to show itself when you're actually looking for it. So I'm trying to trick inspiration into thinking that I'm not looking for it, and when he least expects it - that's right, I gave Inspiration a gender ... and proper noun status - I'll pounce.

I've had recent bouts with Inspiration, but it's tough to convince him to stay. Take, for instance, last night. An impromptu visit to some friends' house found them watching the movie "Stranger Than Fiction." I loved this movie when I first saw it in the theaters. But I'm not so great at re-viewing movies unless they're directed by John Hughes or produced by Happy Madison Productions. (Yeah, I said it.) So watching the movie for a second time not only allowed me to enjoy additional subtle quips I missed the first time, but it also showed beginnings of a breath of fresh creative air. I half hoped the movie was first a book, so I could turn the breath into a longer-sustaining inspiration, but to no avail. I think I'll just have to memorize the script. Or get my hands on the screenplay.

Since Inspiration plays hard to get, I thought I'd try to get my mind off him. I've taken up crossword puzzles and Scrabble, neither of which I'm very good at. Which is minorly depressing since I'm a writer. I'm attempting to boost my skills. I even had a 92-pointer during a game of Scrabble ... an effort I'm quite certain will never be repeated on my end. But I turn back to see if Inspiration has come back for me, and I'm still left with a blank slate.

Sure, I read books. I love to read ... my nightstand will attest, thanks to the four pieces of fiction resting on its top. But it's hard for me to know how to extract anything of inspirational value from the books I make my way through.

I love interior design. The same friends' who provided a screening of "Stranger Than Fiction" are also redecorating their house. I find it difficult to keep my suggestions to myself. Not only is it most likely irritating, but I've got to keep some of these genius ideas for my own home ... even if it is 10 years down the road. But lately, excitement is an emotion I've experienced sporadically, so I have to seize it. I'm painting their bookshelves tonight.

So what else do I do? Nothing seems to attract the elusive Inspiration. But I'm not ready to consider the Creative Convent quite yet ...

2 comments:

Dana said...

I know, let's go to the PETTING ZOO!

Mrs. West said...

you could start collecting quarters. i hear some people do that when they're bored with life. :)