06 January 2010

Uggly

I'm typically against the idea of spending $150+ on boots whose sole purpose (heh ... sole ... get it?) is to schlep in the snow and sludge. So last winter I opted for Target snow boots, instead. After just one chilling season, they were about as warming in the snow as a pair of flip flops, so my position on the matter shifted. I wasn't convinced but certainly open to arguments. (As if someone was going to give me a lecture on the benefits of a pair of boots.) The decision was made for me when I tore into a candy-cane wrapped Christmas gift and Uggs were there to greet me. (If my new Uggs had a voice, I imagine they'd sound like Barry White, FYI.)

I love them. I really, really love them. My feet are so warm. Warmer than a desert fox's toenails - see what I did there, OutKast? Every time I take a step, it's like I'm traipsing on a soft, cuddly puppy. That sounded wrong... just a second, I have to go block PETA on my email account.

But one issue I've noticed in the last three weeks - I've worn them every day, yes ... have you seen Kansas City lately? - is that my socks tend to gradually shimmy down my leg, ankle, then foot so it can hang out all bunched up with my toes. I appreciate the social gesture, but it's quite uncomfortable.

So I tapped my resident Uggs expert, Bop Bop. (It's not like she has stock in the company. At least I don't think she does. She's just the only person I know who wears them on a semi-regular basis.) I prefaced my inquiry with "this is probably dumb" and asked away ... does she have the same issue? With her answer, my fuzzy boot world was rocked to its core: "MOLLY! You're not supposed to wear socks with Uggs!"

After quick internet research ... and by "research" I mean "google search, clicking on the first two links listed" ... her answer was confirmed.

I have minor concerns about stink and true warmth, but you better believe I'm going to try it out. Starting now. It's like I'm going foot commando...

No comments: