19 September 2008

Larry David must have a new show ... Part One

Because I think I'm on it. I've had too many Seinfeld moments in the last month for this scenario not to be an option. So I'm going to rehash my experiences in a three-part series. (Who knows, maybe more. New moments every day, right?) Story one.

This tale begins at a little place called Carmax. This is a place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. (What's that? I'm talking about Aspen, you say? My bad.)

Anyway, Carmax. Home of "no haggle pricing." Side note: Every time I tell this story to a guy, he's inherently appalled to learn that I purchased a vehicle at Carmax. So I've learned that guys don't like Carmax. Girls do. It's science.

So I go to get my oil changed at the Max - not to be mistaken with TJ Maxx. Pretty sure they don't service cars there. I drop Rhonda (my car) off at the appointment time and they proceed to tell me that it will be a 45-minute wait. I tell them I would rather they just call me when it's done, as J and I have a hot date to go get his oil changed as well. They agree to this. I leave.

Meanwhile, we go to get J's oil changed at the Ford QuickLane ... so we have to wait. It ends up being about an hour and a half to two hours. (Don't worry. Magazines kept me company. I learned that Mike Myers is, in fact, a jackass.) I never got a call from Carmax. Odd.

We go back to pick up my car and I saunter to the service desk. Greeted by a friendly mechanic, I say, "Hi ... I dropped my car off a couple hours ago for an oil change and I still haven't received a phone call so I Just wanted to see if it's ready?" The guy says, "Oh yeah, it's done. Let me just get your paperwork together and make a phone call since I wasn't the one who checked you in and such."

I wait, letting my eyes wander while he makes his phone call. Suddenly, I hear my cell phone ringing. This is bizarre because no one calls me. Ever. I retrieve the phone from my bottomless pit of a purse to see a 913 number. Carmax is on the Kansas side of Kansas City, so I put it together and ask the mechanic, "Is this you?" He replies, "Yeah, you don't have to answer it." Um... thanks?

My phone stops ringing and shortly after, the dude starts leaving a voicemail for me. "Hi Molly, this is Josh from Carmax letting you know your car is ready to be picked up ... and you're standing right in front of me. Have a great day. Bye!" And he proceeds to take me to the cashier like nothing happened.

I think to myself, "Seriously ... did that just happen?"

2 comments:

Mrs. West said...

Fan-tastic. Really, amazing.

jbr said...

No matter how deep into the gene pool you dive, you'll never touch the bottom.